Maritime Forum

Forum Home > General Discussion about Amateur Radio in Atlantic Canada > Missionary travel along west coast of Greenland

Terry KD6DIF

Missionary travel along west coast of Greenland.

Critical part of trip is sailing 48 foot diesel trawler between Lewisporte, Newfoundland and Nuuk, Greenland leaving around 20 June 2017. Estimated travel time is 7 - 10 days.

Ask: Is there a captain willing to donate time and services to pilot the boat from Lewisporte to Nuuk? A mechanic who is willing to donate time and services on the boat is also needed for this part of the trip. It is highly desirable that one or both of these people is a licensed radio amateur to enable communications for tracking the boat during the journey.

We would also like to know if there is anyone in the Lewisporte area that could set up a temporary HF APRS or PSK63 beacon on the boat so it can be tracked in real time.

Contact: Please contact Terry at [email protected] if you or anyone you know are interested in helping these non-hams be safe during their travels. Terry will forward your message the people already in the Lewisporte area. Thank you in advance for your help.

May 22, 2017 at 7:05 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Terry KD6DIF

I have received an update about this trip.  The start date will now be 26 July, weather permitting.  If you or anyone you know is interested in helping getting this trip going, please let me know and I will put you in touch with the person currently in Lewisporte.

May 31, 2017 at 3:12 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.