Maritime Forum

Forum Home > General Discussion about Amateur Radio in Atlantic Canada > Digital Radio Operators

Sean VE1XOP

Hello from grid FN85to (Lower Barney's River [in-between New Glasgow & Antigonish]).

Want to know your grid location? Try: http://www.levinecentral.com/ham/grid_square.php

I'm reaching out to the Amateur Radio Community and all members of this site. Many of you have read or heard about "Digital Modes".

These would include:

• PSK31
  • RTTY
  • SSTV
  • Packet (HF & VHF)
  • Hellschreiber
  • JT65
  • MT63
  • FreeDV

I would like to hear from others and possibly get some "Maritime Activity" on the Amateur Radio Radar. Meaning - "Let's Connect"!

If you're a new comer and have little to no knowledge of "Digital Modes" per the list above, no worries. I'm creating a Video series to help people to become involved and also get some insight on how "Easy" it can be to set-up a Digital Station and actually use. **stay tuned on this item**

Back to my original call-out!

If you're active and want to connect, please post per this board.

If you have a question and want to learn, let's also connect!

Thank you and look forward to hearing from the members of this site!

Sean
VE1XOP

July 12, 2015 at 2:57 PM Flag Quote & Reply

VA1WAB Willis Bates

Looking forward to the video, also I'll be giving you a call next week. This week is hectic, next week wont be much better until the weekend. My kenwood 680 crapped out again, I'm going to the valley monday to pick up another Kenwood, a mobile sized unit which eventually will end up in my car, but for the present it'll be mounted on my desk for awhile while I search for another decent desk sized radio.

--

July 18, 2015 at 9:36 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Sean VE1XOP

Hello & Thank you - We need to connect so i can show you this set-up. Email me direct ok.

Thank you

July 20, 2015 at 12:34 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Sean VE1XOP

Currently running a LIVE Stream http://goo.gl/qriVcn ;

You can view PSK LIVE in action from my QTH.

September 11, 2015 at 10:46 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Martin VE1AUZ

I am very active on PSK-31 and other digital modes for the last 10 years. I listen on 3.580 I have worked some dx over the years...

Martin VE1AUZ

September 18, 2015 at 12:38 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Sean VE1XOP

Martin VE1AUZ - I am also 3.580 - Let's connect via HF?

October 16, 2015 at 7:28 AM Flag Quote & Reply

VE1DPG Paul

Sean VE1XOP at July 12, 2015 at 2:57 PM

Hello from grid FN85to (Lower Barney's River [in-between New Glasgow & Antigonish]).

Want to know your grid location? Try: http://www.levinecentral.com/ham/grid_square.php

I'm reaching out to the Amateur Radio Community and all members of this site. Many of you have read or heard about "Digital Modes".

These would include:

• PSK31
  • RTTY
  • SSTV
  • Packet (HF & VHF)
  • Hellschreiber
  • JT65
  • MT63
  • FreeDV

I would like to hear from others and possibly get some "Maritime Activity" on the Amateur Radio Radar. Meaning - "Let's Connect"!

If you're a new comer and have little to no knowledge of "Digital Modes" per the list above, no worries. I'm creating a Video series to help people to become involved and also get some insight on how "Easy" it can be to set-up a Digital Station and actually use. **stay tuned on this item**

Back to my original call-out!

If you're active and want to connect, please post per this board.

If you have a question and want to learn, let's also connect!

Thank you and look forward to hearing from the members of this site!

Sean
VE1XOP

Like all other AR operators I have been jumping from one mode and band to another looking for some activity. I like the PSK31 mainly because it is a combination of what I do and what I like or in other words computers and radio. The low power, 10 to 20 watts also appeals to me  because of what I can do  with low power. I am also making the big switch from Windows to Linux while attempting to find as many AR programs written for Linux. The PSK31 works great for me under Linux-Ubuntu 15.10 and Linux-Mint 17.3 This means that I have my hard drive set up to boot two operating systems. With this dual operating systems you have to be careful of your sound drivers and where they are on your hard drive. You should also have a knowledge of the Linux language to solve any of those dual operating system problems that will come your way. It would be better or should I say easier to have a single operating system mainly because of the many configuration files you have to define within the digital program that you are using. If anyone is interested in a PSK exchange reply to this post with a call sign, time, frequency and date and I will do my best to answer. What ever digital program you are using is up to you but you should explore the macro options if your keyboard speed is a bit slow. Hope you find my comments to your liking. 

--

February 13, 2016 at 9:25 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Sean VE1XOP

Folks busy as crazy. Will be getting the videos up, sorry for this delay. It has been busy with work - but making time now.

August 22, 2016 at 11:33 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Sean VE1XOP

Meet ROS v7.4.0

Link to Software: http://rosmodem.wordpress.com

Ease of Use: Beginner / easy / plug and play

If you're looking to get into the Digital Modes, this one is truly fun to use.

Questions? Please ask right here in the forum.

Screenshot: (Installed on my Computer)

November 20, 2016 at 9:29 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Sean VE1XOP

FREE Version of Ham Radio Deluxe

Are you looking for an easy and simple way to get on the various Digital Modes? HRD will make it happen. You can use this on Windows XP, 7, 8 & 10.

I run it on Windows XP & 7. I prefer XP as it can run more of the legacy software. But many of you may have 7 or 10. Regardless, very easy to use. There is a learning curve per all it's features.

Video is ready and will be posted on YouTube, will share the link.

November 20, 2016 at 10:30 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Sean VE1XOP

Watch the Video

You may want to get this software and begin your journey onto Digital Radio!

November 24, 2016 at 12:31 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Sean VE1XOP

Sean VE1XOP at November 24, 2016 at 12:31 PM

Watch the Video

You may want to get this software and begin your journey onto Digital Radio!

Hello

Please note the new link for the video is:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAfrtRwSXU0

November 26, 2016 at 7:22 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Rick VE9MTB

Here is an nteresting news item about the demise of another "ancient" communication mode -  Here is a link to the CBC news item:

Norway to become 1st country to switch off FM radio

January 6, 2017 at 4:40 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Bill, VE1YY

Hello, Sean.  Only now seeing your posts thanks to Jim, JBL, enticing me to join the Maritime Amateur site.  I am an avid digital op and have been so for years.  In 2016, I was introduced to ROS.  Wow!  I am using this mode _weekly_ on 20 or 30 Meter bands to sked with Greece at 25 watts or _less_ and wire antennas.  It is sad that ROS received a bad rep from ARRL since the mode works and is not spread spectrum.

73 and GL,

Bill

--
May 23, 2017 at 8:22 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.